The ITAD definition is simple. ITAD stands for Information Technology Asset Disposition.
What is ITAD?
IT asset disposition (ITAD) is the term used for the various processes of reusing, recycling, repurposing, repairing, or disposing of unwanted IT equipment. This can be done either by the IT organisation itself or by a specialised vendor that is experienced with these types of procedures. IT asset disposition is important because it helps to keep electronic waste out of landfills It allows for the reuse of materials that would otherwise go to e- waste.
E-waste is a serious issue in the world, and we generate around 50 million Kg’s of electronic waste every year worldwide. That’s like throwing away 800 laptops every second. Any IT organisation can hire a specialised vendor to dispose of their IT assets instead of ending up as electronic waste or e-waste, in a landfill. An IT device’s internal components can be reused again which helps the environment from plastics and heavy metals.
Worn-out hardware can be a difficult decision for businesses. They must decide whether to refurbish, resell, recycle, or dispose their business equipment. However, many businesses have a systematic replacement cycle for electronic equipment which makes the decision easier. The IT asset disposition process can be handled either internally by teams such as IT asset management, procurement, or risk management, or externally by ITAD companies. These companies provide ITAD services and often focus on the secure destruction of data and the recycling of e-waste in an environmentally friendly manner. ITAD vendors work to streamline the process of disposing of IT assets for their clients, while minimising costs and, in some cases, reclaiming equipment value.
What does ITAD do?
ITAD companies can help organisations get rid of their old IT equipment and they focus on the following:
- Data Security – Old IT equipment may still contain data that is sensitive and data breach is a serious issue nowadays. ITADS follow the best practices for secure data destruction on the storage devices. We at Greenbox are a platinum ITAD partner for Blancco (Data Erasure Software) and erase the data safely and securely.
- Recycling and Reusing devices – An ITAD provider can dispose, recycle, or reuse numerous types of used hardware, including desktops, laptops, servers, phones, and tablets. Items such as RAM sticks or video cards can be harvested and reused in other products or recycled.
- Deploying IT Equipment – They also offer deployment services when any organisation needs new IT Equipment. Greenbox Group is expert in hardware storage, relocation, deployment, and installation of new IT equipment.
- IT Equipment Buyback – Some ITAD providers like Greenbox Group and B2BT offer IT Equipment Buyback for your old IT Equipment. You can get the best financial return form your used IT Equipment.
ITAD companies typically provide the following services:
- Asset Management
- Data Center decommissioning
- Data Erasure
- Hard drive shredding
IT Asset Disposition and its importance
IT equipment reach end of their lifecycle quickly making IT equipment disposal an immediate issue for organisations when considering e-waste. This IT equipment may contain heavy metals, chemicals and other materials which are harmful to the environment resulting excessive carbon emissions when disposed. To ensure a secure and safe disposal of e-waste, ITAD providers use certified recyclers. ITAD providers also consider data security when disposing your IT equipment. They erase the data in the storage devices or shred them before they are disposed.
How to choose an ITAD company
Organisations need to be aware of certifications when choosing an ITAD company to dispose off the IT Equipment. Organisations should consider:
- Certifications – ITAD providers have certifications to show that they follow industry standards for best practices in recycling and reusing electronics. Greenbox Group has more than 20 ISO certifications for safety, security, quality, and environment. All the Greenbox facilities are R2 (Responsible Recycling) certified. Greenbox follows the industry standard certifications in disposing of the IT Equipment.
- Sustainability – Organisations should choose ITAD service providers that are committed to environmental sustainability. Greenbox Group is Australia’s first ITAD to go 100% carbon neutral and is R2 certified. Greenbox makes sure that nothing goes into landfill and zero carbon is emitted into the environment providing the organisations with a carbon emission certificate.
- Data Security – Organisations need to ensure they give their IT equipment to right providers who disclose how they erase the data and if they are certified or not. Greenbox Group is a platinum ITAD partner for Blancco (Data Erasure Software). We erase all the data in your IT equipment providing you with data erasure certification. We also destroy the storage devices if the data isn’t erased through our data erasure software.